If the kitchen is the heart of a home, the refrigerator is its lifeblood. Everything flows from it. There are many things to consider when choosing a new refrigerator, from size and configuration to Wi-Fi-enabled “smart” models.
We look at the top refrigerators on the market, which can help complete your dream kitchen.
Things to Consider When Buying a Refrigerator
Remember when a refrigerator with an ice dispenser in the door seemed cutting-edge? Now, there are many more advanced choices when it comes to buying a new refrigerator.
1. What Style Do I Want?
Refrigerators come in several different configurations. Decide which style will suit the space and your lifestyle.
- Freezer on the top
- Freezer on the bottom
- French-Doors (two long, narrow doors on the top/w freezer on the bottom)
- Side-by-Side doors
- Built-in (designed to fit flush with the cabinets & countertops)
- Compact refrigerators (for dorm rooms, offices or kitchenettes)
What are your needs? Do you need extra freezer space? Room to store trays or oversized items? Do you have children who need to be able to reach the shelves? These are all considerations.
2. What Size Do I Need?
Size matters, especially in the kitchen. You’ll need to measure the width and height allowances.
You also need to pay attention to capacity and shelf depth. If you have a large family, you’ll probably need more space. If you love to entertain, you’ll need the extra depth for food trays.
3. Do I Want a Connected Refrigerator?
Everyday appliances can now become Wi-Fi connected devices. Even your refrigerator can be “smart”. They can do things like…
- View the contents on your smartphone
- Receive alerts when you’re running low on items
- Built-in touch screens that allow you to listen to music, search recipes, check your calendar, and more
If you’re a techie or just want the ability to see if you’re out of orange juice while you’re at the store, a smart refrigerator might be your thing.
Top Refrigerators on the Market
Now that you know what to consider, it’s time to think about which model is best for you. Here are 8 of our favorite refrigerators by category.
- Best Overall – GE Profile Series French-Door
- Best for Families – Samsung Family Hub
- Best Value – Maytag Wide French-Door
- Best Smart Refrigerator – LG InstaView
- Best Counter-Depth – GE Café French-Door
- Best Side-by-Side – Whirlpool 36-Inch
- Best Top Freezer – Frigidaire Gallery 30-Inch
- Best Bottom Freezer – LG 24.1-cu.ft.
- Best Double Freezer – Miele PerfectCool Series
Use these suggestions to start your search and then visit an appliance store to see the models for yourself. Need help with appliance removal? You can find dirt cheap rubbish removal services to dispose of your refrigerator or other appliances in a safe and environmentally-conscious way.
Create Your Dream Kitchen with the Right Refrigerator
Your kitchen is essential to a happy home. Whether you’re planning a complete remodel or your old refrigerator needs to be replaced, there are many options to choose from. Use our list of top refrigerators to narrow your search.
Be sure to check out our website to learn more about the latest tech and software solutions for your home or business. You will also find container platforms that can build, share, and run software applications for any system and industry.